This technology utilizes radioactive tracers on digestion tanks of sewage disposal plants to diagnose the fixed quantity of the effective volume and immobile layer of the process. Here, the radioactive tracers’ movement is chemicophysically identical to that of sludge flow, but is also distinctively measurable with radiation, making it possible to measure the flow patterns and compound properties of sludge flowing into digestion tanks, as well as the residence time distribution of the sludge within the digestion tank.
□ Technology Principle
The technology obtains information on internal flow properties by inputting radiation tracers into the interior of the operating process, measuring gamma rays emitted from the tracers using external high-sensitive detectors, and calculating the residence time distribution.
□ Technology Features
- Capable of measuring from outside the facility during operation without hindering the process
- Is not influenced from inflowing water quality, process operating method and climate changes
- A new technology without alternative technologies in obtaining the identical results
□ Treatment Process
▶Phase I – Radioactive tracer production and experimental equipment installation
Select the radioactive tracer suitable for the object’s digestion tank, and use the research atomic reactor in the Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute to produce the tracers. Next, install the radiation detector on the outer wall of the digestion tank and pre-determined location.
▶Phase II – Radioactive tracer input and data collection
Use a specially manufactured radioactive tracer injection device to remotely inject tracers within the piping, and use the data collection device (KTG-DL1, Korea Atomic Energy Research) to measure the changes in tracer concentration and residence time distribution on a real-time basis.
▶Phase III – Model application of measuring data and fluid movement analysis
Use the data correction and analysis software to calculate the average residence time distribution of the sludge. Comparatively analyze the value to calculate the effective volume per each location and deduce the production form of the immobile layer.
- Capable of on-line confirmation on experiment data collection and detection results on-site
- Measures the fixed quantity of the internal immobile layer’s quantity and location without stopping the process
- Uses high-penetration gamma rays to maximize capacity of applicable equipment
□ Economical Efficiency
- Measures the operating efficiency of the digestion tank and the production quantity of the immobile layer to evaluate the necessity for dredging work, and predicts future operating longevity. This allows the operator to plan for improvements in efficient operations, and has the economical effect of optimizing the facility’s dredging cycle.
- Acquires the radiation tracer technology necessary for environmental process analysis, and is thus a substantial improvement to the designing, construction, and operating technology of wastewater disposal plants.
- Contributes to improvement of reliability and advancement of environmental management technology with verification on the environmental process value model using radiation tracer technology.